Today, we take a look at On-Air Personalities who have at some point in their careers also ventured into music.
Also, we will look at a couple of musicians who have left the trade and taken up presenting and surprisingly, the list is one that is growing longer by the day.
- Dare Art Alade: Darey was one of the top voices on radio with his ‘How dare you dare Dare’ voice drop during his time with popular Lagos station ‘Cool FM’. Darey however left all this, relocated to Abuja and has since focused solely on the music.
- Mannie: Another one from Cool FM, the dreaded one is a delight on his Breakfast show with his pranks, voiceovers and wit, Mannie is one who though never took music fulltime has performed at quite a number of events and has couple of singles to his name.
- Etcetera: Etcetera is a triple threat, he is a singer, OAP and blogger, now with Top Radio, music has since taken a backseat but that remains his first love and has won him awards and fame.
- Kemistry: Remember that rapper with an accent on Jimmy Jatt’s ‘Too Much’?, Kemistry was the queen of the afternoon drive on Rhythm FM and also was a notable femcee, sad she had to leave it all so soon.
- Djinee: Djinee is probably one of those who crossed from TV easily into making music, from his days of anchoring programs on Soundcity to dropping Ego and headlining events nationwide, Djinee also soon left the screens to focus on his music.
- Tosyn Bucknor: The Area Mama of Top Radio goes by the name CON.tradiction when her alter ego comes out to sing, she makes alternative music and is one of the brains behind the music talent showcase event ‘One Mic Naija’.
- Raezy- OAP at day, Rapper by Night, the anchor of ‘Rap Kulture’ on Rhythm Fm has been dropping singles in the past couple of years and still plans to release a rap album sometime soon.
Whilst some have been able to succeed at this though, others have found out that crossing over is not exactly as easy as it seems.
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs