- Supreme Mavin Dynasty: a label that packs Tiwa Savage, Dr. Sid, D Prince, Reekado Banks, Korede Bello, Di’ja and is headed by hitmaker Don Jazzy, during the course of the year earned credits for Janta Manta, Looku Looku, Katapot, Oga Titus, Godwin and Aaaww and closed the year with an all-star Mavins Concert, definitely did enough to emerge as the top label this year.
- YBNL: Olamide Badoo released his 5th studio album and the 4th one on the label’s platform, signed Lil Kesh, Viktoh, Chinko Ekun and Adekunle Gold, the label produced major hits like Bobo, Lagos Boys, Shoki remix, Gbese, Efejoku, Orente, Pick your call including a successful tour in the UK during the course of the year.
- Made Men Music Group: Ubi Franklin’s powerhouse Triple M G which parades the likes of pop star Iyanya, upcoming talents Tekno and Basi, songwriter and gifted producer who is behind most of Yemi Alade’s works, Selebobo and arguably the producer of the year in DJ Coublon, the label recovered from losing Emma Nyra to delivering some of the hottest jams of the year in view, they released Iyanya’s Applaudise album, Yudala, Tekno’s Duro and a host of other songs.
- Starboy Entertainment: For all the good work that Wizkid is credited with this year, his label has strengthened in brand and has positioned itself as a name to be reckoned with, aside Wizkid, the label also saw its second artiste L.A.X drop new singles like ‘Open and Close’ while also acquiring his first car which is a Mercedes Benz C250 with Maleek Berry still dropping those banging beats.
- HKN Gang: Managed by the Adeleke brothers, Chairman and Davido, the label is also home to fellow gang/family members like B-Red who featured Akon on Cucumber, Sina Rambo, Danagog who put out his own clothing line during the course of the year, Shizzi, the in-house producer who never seems to do any wrong and the perfect hypeman, Special Ed, it remains one of the leading labels in the land as its main artiste Davido continues to make headlines with his music and his forthcoming sophomore album.
- G WORLDWIDE ENT: Home to new kids on the block Kiss Daniel, DJ Shabsy and A-One, Kiss Daniel followed up the success of hit major hit song, ‘Woju’ by releasing ‘Laye’ which also became a hit and ended the year with ‘Goodtime’ which is fast becoming a favorite amongst music lovers, sometime during the year, he also teamed up with label mate A-One on Dj Shabsy’s ‘Raba’, this was another massive tune and it seems everything the label touches turns into gold, we expect a bigger 2016 from their stable as they begin to reel out the albums.
- Chocolate City Music: It was not exactly a standout year for Chocolate City following the change in baton at the top as Audu Maikori stepped down after 10 years as Jude Abaga, a.k.a M.I took over the mantle of leadership, the label however still managed to win Jesse Jagz back into the fold, merged with Loopy Records for a bigger family, got Femi Kuti on its platform, released the ‘Indestructible Choc Boi Compilation album’, which delivered Koker’s ‘Do Something’, also saw them put a lot of new music towards the end of the year from Milli, Dice Alies, Loose Kaynon, Jesse Jagz, Pryse and Rubyincluding Forever and Ever by Kahli Abdu and the VHS Safari which is actually one of my favorite songs, it is expected that 2016 will be a defining year for the M.I led Choc Nation 2.0 family.
8.5-STAR MUSIC: The label owned by business mogul Emeka Okonkwo, popularly known as E- Money has had a 2015 to remember both for good and bad reasons, aside getting into the news following the Skibii death stunt which did quite some damage to the label’s name, the label boasts of acts like Kcee and Harry song. Harrysong is credited with one of the biggest songs of the year in ‘Reggae Blues’, they also delivered hit tunes during the course of the year such as Ebeano, Beta Pikin Remix, Feel It, Agbomma, Love Boat, Sampu.
- X3M Music: Steve Babaekos’s music outfit also had a good year, it was a year that saw them finally push Praiz’s double album ‘Rich and Famous’ which was released towards the latter stages of 2014 with videos and proper promotions put out, new signees Simi also had major hit songs with Tiff, Tiff Remix and Open and Close, while Sammy also debuted with ‘Gimme dat and Carry Go’, the label also gets credit for some of the finest videos put out this year.
- PentHauze Music: Fronted by rapper Phyno who continued his strong showing in 2015 with his PhynoConnect concert, Nnunnu and Connect, also boast of the likes of Stormrex who also had a remarkable year featuring on hit songs like ‘Bullion Van’ and ‘Local Rappers’.
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs