So it takes a lot for a comedian to try his hands at music and expect people to pay attention.
But in these parts, a few have taken the leap and straddle between music studios and event stages doing tracks and comedy.
Here are a few of such:
- Basketmouth: Bright Okpocha who is today one of the biggest comedians in the country actually started his career as a rapper, he was a member of a rap group The Psychopaths and featured on Nutty Pin’s ‘Living it up’ in the early 2000s. Basketmouth has however abandoned the studios and focused more on making people laugh which has brought him fame, money and acceptance. Though he has overtime released singles like ‘Where I’m from’ ft Rukus and ‘Where you dey’.
- Koffi: For Koffi Idowu Nuel, a graduate of Chemistry from the University of Lagos, art has always been what he was meant to do, Koffi has over 3 albums to his name including COMfusion, Abinibility and Workerman movement, he has also won awards such as ‘Best use of Animation’ in a music video at the NMVAs and Best Music Comedian at the NNAC.
- Akpororo: Born Jephta Bowoto, The Airtel ambassador is a member of the ‘Ojo Mass Choir’ and organizes an annual music program tagged ‘Ojo Mega Praise Jam’; he has recorded many gospel videos which have gone viral on Youtube including his ‘Days of Elijah’ series, He also leads live worship bands and performs at many church events when he is not doing standup comedy and recorded a milestone staging his own comedy and music concert titled ‘Akpororo VS Akpororo’.
- Julius Agwu: Julius Agwu once had hits from way back 2000 when he released his debut album ‘Okombo’ a Makossa influenced tune, he has released two further albums that had songs like ‘My Style’, ‘Handwork’, ‘When will you marry’. The founder of the annual comedy event ‘Laff for Christ Sake’ and ‘Crack your ribs’ concert recently survived a life threatening brain surgery and went into the studio to record and shoot a video for his single ‘Second chance’ dedicated to God.
- Chigurl: Chigurl is the latest addition into the music world crossing over from the comfort of making people laugh, with her unique voice, she has featured on Falz’s ‘Karishika’, M.I’s ‘Monkey’, Eva’s ‘Your fada’ and recently released her own version of Adele’s ‘Hello’.
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs