On many occasions some have gone on to become superstars off the back of these shows while some others despite winning have been unable to transit from reality shows to the real world.
Here is a list of 5 artistes who emerged via reality shows and have gone ahead to become household names and attain superstar status in the industry.
- Iyanya: The Kukere master came into our consciousness after emerging winner at the 2008 MTN project fame competition, despite having a lukewarm debut album, Iyanya bounced back with the release of Kukere which caught like wildfire nationwide and has earned him fame, status and wealth. Iyanya who enjoys major endorsements is presently the co-founder of Made Men Music record label and has a host of artistes signed under him.
- Omawunmi: Now Omawunmi’s case is quite peculiar as she did not exactly win in the reality show she partook in. The ‘Megbele’ crooner was runner up to Timi Dakolo in the very first edition of West African Idol and since then has put in so much work to attain her present status. With two albums and songs like ‘In the Music’, ‘If you ask me’, ‘Bottom Belle’, and sealing endorsement deals with communication giant Globacom, there has been no looking back for the powerful vocalist ever since.
- Timi Dakolo: Easily one of the most talented voices in the land, Timi Dakolo emerged the winner of the inaugural edition of Idols West Africa in 2007, he initially had a rocky start to life in the industry after a failed record contract with Sony BMG and runner up Omawunmi seemingly overshadowing him, he also suffered a near death experience after being shot in 2008 but he has risen like a Phoenix ever since and has released albums that could match up with any international standard. Singles like ‘Wish me Well’, ‘Great Nation’, ‘Iyawo Mi’ are some of his offerings that have earned him national prominence over the years.
- Chidinma: Petite, pretty and talented Chidinma Ekile is another product of MTN Project Fame West Africa, she emerged winner of the 2011 edition to become the first lady to take home the crown, with hits like ‘Kedike’, ‘Jankoliko’, ‘Emi ni Baller’ and ‘If no be God’, she has become one of the most sought after artiste in the land.
- Dare Art-Alade: Darey as he is now popularly known began his rise to fame off the back of coming third in the 2004 edition of Project fame. The son of iconic Nigerian act, Art Alade, former OAP and event compere is today one of the most respected RnB artiste in the land. Since the release of his debut album ‘From Me 2 U’, Darey who now heads his own label Soul Muzik has built a brand that has come to stay in the industry.
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs