So careful thoughts are usually given, whilst selecting that appropriate stage name.
Some stage names outlive the artist, some acts may tend to change their stage name as the years progress seeking a means to rebrand and stay relevant in the game with the likes of 2face now seeking to be addressed as 2baba, Dare Art Alade now known as Darey and rapper Ikechukwu goes by the name Killz these days.
For some acts, sticking to their real names is the way to go like Omawunmi, Tiwatope Savage, Lara George and the likes while some have tweaked it a bit retaining a part of their real name like Bankole Wellington adapting it to Banky W, Jesse Abaga going by Jesse Jagz. However some have also come up with funny names that makes you wonder, where the inspiration behind their names actually come from, top on these list of weird stage name include;
- Ketch-Up: Real name, Emmanuel Onyido Nkemjika, hit song, Show me Your Rozay
- Mad Melon and Mountain Black: real names, Jimoh Olotu and Omeofa Oghene, the duo that made up the group Danfo drivers and had the mega hit single Danfo Driver.
- Vavavoom and Peeshaun: Another singing duo made up of two brothers, Tumininu and Atewologun Laolu- Ogunniyi form the group Skuki and had the hit single
- Konga: Lawal Olalekan Olumo a.k.a Konga, hit single, Baby Konga
- Selebobo: Udoka Chigozie Oku, Producer of hit sing by Yemi Alade Johnny
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs